Day 4 - Phungi Thenga to Pangboche

 


18 May 2024

I was up by 520 and so were the girls. Amruta also had experienced some irritation due to river’s sound. We took our own sweet time to get ready and pack. Then we had our breakfast and were on our way. The first was crossing the bridge that is right outside Zambala. This is the last bridge where we crossed Dudhkoshi river.


Few meters ahead of this bridge was our last check point. Surendra had completed formalities for us. Like Namche Bazar, here they had installed Prayer Wheels activated by the stream.



Now the tedious climb towards Tengboche! It was steep with inclination of 60 degrees or more . This climb had looked picturesque from yesterday’s route and it didn’t disappoint. But the climb!!!

I don’t know what had gotten into me, but I was slow… Real Slow… I had taken almost an hour to hike one kilo meter and we had ascended roughly 200 meters in that climb. Then another hour for next kilo meter. There were two young men carrying sheets of heavy wood, one each. They would walk about 100 meters with that and then take a break. I was taking too many small breaks. This is when I felt ashamed of myself and feeling of misusing my privileged background surged.  

I met several incredible and inspiring people on this climb with whom I chatted a lot. Someone from Australia who was studying about Sherpa Heritage and it was her 5th trip to the valley. Her accompanying guide who was a IFMGA Affiliate. Then a group of senior citizens from US. And handful of few more.

And suddenly, the climb was over. We stood outside the Tengboche Monastery. Ngima and Gauri were already seating at a restaurant opposite it. We too sat there and watched the helicopters making load ferries of some construction material. We had teas and coffees and moved ahead towards our stay at Pangboche.


My initial plan involved staying at Tengboche as I wanted to visit the monastery. But with change of plans, I thought this visit was not in the interest of our target of reaching Pangboche today. Also, like our second day on the trail, I didn’t want to get into fatigue mode and slow down more.

The route now took us down towards Deboche. This entire forest is filled with different varieties of Rhododendrons and most of them were blooming at this time of the year. The ground was filled with Primroses. I wanted to spend a lot of time here but gave up on this idea too.

Deboche is a small settlement deep into valley. This monastery which is run by nuns was established by Lama Gulu in the 1930s as a sister monastery to Tengboche Monastery. I think this is the only one that is run by the nuns. The route from here didn’t feel like it was climbing but then we saw yet another bridge. Second one of this day and last one of this trek towards EBC.

The bridge is a high suspension bridge on river Imja Khola. Quiet surprisingly, we 4 were the only souls on this bridge. I felt we were pretty late especially because of me being too slow. Ngima assured that was not the case and now we were really close to our home for the day.

While crossing this bridge, there was some sort of weird heavy feeling in my heart. I hadn’t felt this spooky anywhere on the trail, especially while crossing the bridges. I kept it to myself and walked quietly.

Like the Indian Himalayas, the trees were still present at around 4000 meters ASL. We still hadn’t seen any ice or snow. My thoughts lingered around global warming. Ngima said weather has changed from what it was when he was a kid.

The trail now had combination of steps and traverses. We were hiking between 3850 to 3900 meters ASL. 


I had asked Ngima and girls to go ahead. Yet, at a point, I felt abandoned. But Ngima had kept good track of me. At one diversion, I saw that poor guy waiting for me patiently. He said we needed to head to lower side of the village and He was pretty confident that I will take the one which would lead me to Upper side. I couldn’t figure out a way to thank him enough because that is exactly what was going on in my mind. Once I was on right trail, he hurried ahead to be with girls. Then we reached the lodge at about 230 PM and had lunch. By this time of the day, the temperature also had dropped significantly.

Ngima went to chat with his friends and we went to our room. It had been good four days hike so far, contrary to standard belief that we don't sweat in cold weather and in the himalayas, my clothes were stinking from smell of sweat. They had also become hard on seams and were causing chaffing. Hence I decided to clean up and change the entire set of clothes. I went around the town looking an empty bottle of only to realize how clean it was. There was no littering, all the trash was in bins. Then I found Ngima and Surendra merrily chatting and enjoying some TikTok videos. I asked Ngima where I can find a bottle, he went to the trash sorted by the hotel lady and picked one water bottle and gave me.

I returned to the hotel, took some hot water from my thermos, mixed it with cold water and went to clean. There was still some water left so I washed my feet with soap. So much with one liter water!!! I thanked my upbringing for teaching me to use resources carefully with respect.

Once done with all the chores, I called my mom and informed her that I would call after 5 days now.

In the evening, Ngima and I had our daily chat. He was very careful with his words when we discussed our speed. Then the important part that is next day's schedule was discussed. Next morning We were heading to Dingboche where we would stay for two nights and then to Lobuche and then the dream hike to EBC. And on our way back were to return to Pangboche. So, I checked the possibility of leaving used clothes and unnecessary or extra stuff until our return. It was very much possible.

I returned to the room where the girls were resting. I told them to take out the stuff they thought they won’t need ahead on the trail. There were filter bottles which Amruta and I had never used. I had carried 3 sets of clothes when we started apart from the one that I was wearing. I decided to leave one extra set and the used set. Girls pulled out a lot their stuff too. This stuff became one full duffel bag and we packed rest of the stuff in another duffel bag.

Rest of the evening time was quite vibrant in the dining area. People from different countries chatting to each other and amongst themselves. Too many sweet encouraging words and advices were exchanged over the food. Then it was night time.

Stats for the day:  18 May 2024

 Starting Point:   Zambala Phungi Thenga

 Starting Time:  08:03 AM

 Altitude at Starting Point:  3313 meters ASL

 Ending Point: Buddha Lodge, Lower Pangboche

 End Time: 02:26 PM

 Altitude at End Point: 3910 meters ASL

 Paused Time: 0:00 hours (Should have paused at Tengboche, the break lasted for 45 minutes) 

Highest Altitude: 3916 meters ASL

Distance:  06.76 kilo meters

 (Data As per Amazfit TRex Pro)