Day 2 - Ghat to Namche Bazar



 16 May 2024

We were up by 0530 AM and so were the children. So there was all fun happening around the lodge. We did the final packing of the duffel bags and handed over to Surendra. Then quickly we had our breakfasts and were all set for the hike. 

As per my understanding, it was going to be a 14 kilo meters and this was the day when we would be hitting high altitude. This was also the day, when we would be entering Sagarmatha National Park. 

We started our hike just few minutes before 7AM. There were Mani walls at every nook and corner of the trail. We could see Dudhkoshi river at times. Near Phakding, we crossed first big suspension bridge for the day. Ngima said we would be crossing 5 such bridges today. The hike was easy and there were steps at various locations. We didn't take long breaks until Monjo. At Monjo, there is a check post and entry gate of Sagarmatha National Park. They checked our duffels and backpacks and let us through. 

Although, the hike till Monjo is not really difficult, we walked pretty slow and took around 4 hours to complete 6 and half kilo meters. 


After Monjo, we arrived at Jorsalle, where Ngima said let's have lunch. Knowing that we have covered just half distance, I resisted. He said it would be late by the time we reach Namche Bazaar and there's nothing available throughout. So I gave in. He and the girls ordered Dal Bhat and I asked for boiled vegetables.  

The altitude of Jorsalle is around 2900 meters and the distance from Namche Bazar is around 7.5 kilo meters. Time was 1230 PM. I estimated that break would last for around an hour and then another 3 and half hours to 4 so we should be in Namche Bazaar by 5 to 530 PM. 

The lady took her sweet time to cook. A break that was expected to be short and sweet turned out to be a long and heavy! We had spent almost 2 hours at Jorsalle for lunch. The entire momentum was lost and we had rested way beyond. The weather forecast had mentioned occasional rains and they had come during our break at Jorsalle. 


Around 2 PM we resumed the hike. The route was flat till Hillary Bridge. It didn't take much time. I thought we still had the momentum. When we crossed Hillary Bridge, the route was just going up and up. This is where the climb became tedious and mundane. Then we reached a place from which is known as Everest View Point. The Mighty Mountain was not visible due to clouds. We took a short break here, drank some water and then back on our way. I had slowed down way beyond my expectations. I wasn't tired but this climb after lunch was really something I had never wished for. 

Around 545 we reached another check post. Ngima said that the hotel is just 20 minutes away. I have been a mountain leader for last 10 years now, when the leader or guide says 20 minutes, I know they're just trying to calm the situation. And boom, in 15 minutes we were at the entry gate of Namche Bazaar. I was amused by the prayer wheels activated by a stream. 


Now again another set of steps. But I wanted to spent time near the prayer wheels so I suggested that Ngima and girls to go ahead and I spent time there. Ngima told me to look for Hotel Sherpa Village and went ahead. I sat there for few minutes. Clicked and made videos and then proceeded to the hotel. 

At the hotel, we were greeted by a cute lad Tashi who was seating at the counter. I had coffee with lemon in it and Ngima made fun of me. Then, we went to the room. Changed into night clothing and again came downstairs for dinner. Today we had one room with 3 beds unlike at Ghat where they had given 2 rooms with 2 beds. 

Ngima asked us about next day's breakfast and noted down our order. We also met a pair of gentlemen who were also from Pune. 

I had a little chat with Ngima about next day. I totaled the day and suggested Ngima that going forward we would be heading to our destination first and not take long breaks. He wasn't really happy with this decision but seeing our brilliant performance, he consented.  

For the next day, I had expected to it to be a rest day and a short hike to Khumjum village on the other side of the mountain. However, Ngima said he had decided to move us little further to Phungi Thenga. Phungi Thenga is some 8 and half kilo meters away and technically is lower than Namche Bazaar. Also as part of acclimatization, he said we would touch 3700 meters before going down some 350 meters. Seeing what happened today, I agreed to this change. He said instead of resting and not reaching anywhere, let's move ahead and yet get acclimatized. Also he permitted us to sleep until little late next morning. And we were back in the room for night. 

Again before sleeping, I checked sunrise time and weather for next day. Adjusted my alarm on cell phone to 430 AM from 500AM for thyroid medication and three of us chatted little before sleeping off. 

I think this is where I started asking Amruta to recite Ram Raksha before sleeping. 

Stats for the day:  16 May 2024 


Starting Point:   Milan Lodge Ghat

Starting Time:  06:53 AM 

Altitude at Starting Point:  2595 meters ASL

Ending Point: Sherpa Village Namche Bazar 

End Time: 06:05 PM

Altitude at End Point: 3442 meters ASL 

Paused Time: 01:45 hours

Highest Altitude: 3464 meters ASL 

Distance:  14.34 kilo meters

(Data As per Amazfit TRex Pro)